LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) — The Lynchburg Fire Department says a heat gun is to blame for a roof fire at Paul Munro Elementary School.
Lynchburg City Schools says firefighters received a call on Friday, Sept. 17, about a roof fire. When they arrived, no students were inside the building due to it being a teacher workday. All employees managed to make it out of the building safely and no one was hurt.
The roof had minor damage due to what firefighters say a heat gun overheating and catching some roofing materials on fire. According to officials, contractors were making routine repairs to the elementary school when the incident happened.
Officials from Lynchburg City Schools and the Lynchburg Fire Department are still assessing the incident, but the school is expected to be open on Monday, Sept. 20.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list
Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.