LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) — The number of people who filed for unemployment for the first time increased 38% in the Lynchburg region last week.
The figure provided by Virginia Career Works showed 219 initial unemployment claims during the week of October 17, up from the previous week’s total of 159. The region includes Lynchburg City, Amherst, Appomattox, Bedford, and Campbell Counties.
Lynchburg led the region in initial claims, with 100, while Bedford followed at 52.
People who continue to be unemployed fell below 3,000 for the first time since March last week. It represents a 10% decrease from the previous week.
- NC State rallies to defeat Syracuse 36-29
- Norfolk mayor calls out Virginia 90th House of Delegates candidate for false endorsement
- Multi-car crash slows traffic on I-81 south in Roanoke County
- 1 dead, 14 injured following shooting at South Carolina nightclub
- 40-foot tall leg lamp from ‘A Christmas Story’ stands in Chickasha in ‘indescribably beautiful’ glory