BEDFORD COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Thanks to some quick thinking from utility crews, Bedford County first responders were able to efficiently handle a Tuesday hazmat incident in the Boonsboro area.

The Boonsboro Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company says units were dispatched shortly before noon on Tuesday, April 26 to a hazmat call involving a natural gas leak in the 1100 block of James View Drive.

According to the department, utility networking crews were using a mini-excavator to do some digging when a small feeder line was struck. The digging crew then advised residents to evacuate until emergency personnel arrived and the leak was under control.

Fire officials say the medic unit arrived and began securing the area, creating hot, warm, and cold zones. As more first responders got to the scene, they were assigned to investigations, detection, and monitoring.

“Readings were minimal and not presenting immediate danger to life and health (IDLH),” the Boonsboro Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company wrote on Facebook. “A supervisor from Columbia Gas of Virginia arrived and confirmed the readings with their monitors, stating only the residual gas leaked out due to the emergency flow valve (EFV) immediately stopping the flow upstream.”

Fire officials say they cleared all units — including the Bedford County Department of Fire and Rescue — once the hazmat situation was deemed incidental, but Columbia Gas stayed on the scene for the repairs.