WASHINGTON (WFXR) – U.S. Sens. Mark R. Warner and Tim Kaine (both D-Va.) announced Wednesday that 11 airports across the Commonwealth — including the Lynchburg Regional Airport — will receive some economic relief thanks to more than $19 million in federal funding.
Warner’s office released a statement on Wednesday, April 7 announcing the $19,155,185 in funding — awarded through the Federal Aviation Administration and the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) — was authorized by the December 2020 emergency COVID-19 relief bill.
“We are happy to announce that these funds will go towards supporting 11 airports in Virginia,” the senators said. “While we work to get folks vaccinated and the economy back on track, these dollars will help ensure that our regional airports have what they need to continue combating COVID-19 and serving travelers.”
According to officials, the funding will be distributed as follows:
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport in Albemarle County: $2,928,978
- Culpeper Regional Airport in Culpeper County: $23,000
- Louisa County/Freeman Field Airport in Louisa County: $13,000
- Lynchburg Regional Airport in Campbell County: $1,261,006
- Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport in Newport News: $1,951,578
- Norfolk International Airport in Norfolk: $5,768,825
- Richmond International Airport in Henrico County: $6,143,825
- Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport in Augusta County: $1,005,973
- Stafford Regional Airport in Stafford County: $13,000
- Warrenton-Fauquier Airport in Fauquier County: $23,000
- Winchester Regional Airport in Frederick County: $23,000
This funding will reportedly help airports cover costs related to operations, personnel, cleaning, sanitization, janitorial services, debt service payments, and efforts to combat the spread of pathogens.
“Sens. Warner and Kaine have long fought for increased investments to infrastructure, including for Virginia’s airports,” Wednesday’s statement said. “Most recently, they supported the passage and signing of the American Rescue Plan, which provides robust transportation funding for airports and other transit systems throughout Virginia.”