LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) — As more Black-owned businesses spread across the Commonwealth, the many talents they bring to the table continue to enrich Downtown Lynchburg. There are now over ten Black-owned businesses that range from barber shops to cafes and pop-up shops.
Here is a list of some Black-owned businesses to visit while in the Downtown area:
1. Zola’s Beauty at 1000 Jefferson Street is a beauty studio that includes services such as hair, waxes, nails, facials, eyebrows, and more. The studio is owned by Imani West and operated by a group of women.
2. Ninth Street Parlor at 108 Ninth Street is a barbershop for men. The shop opened in 2004 and has services for cuts and shavings and is decorated with marble floors and rich mahogany furniture. Some of its various packages include The King, The Prince, and The Duke.
3. Mother Nature’s Soul Food Vegan at 616 Fifth Street brings the soul to vegan lovers. From ‘Chkn Alfredo’ to “mac-N’ Chz’ this black-owned restaurant is 100% vegan. The diverse menu has daily specials and offers “meal prep” options and catering services.
4. Blackwater Branding at 1009 Main Street is a branding and marketing company. The company works with clients to help increase their digital experience and help amplify the brand’s voice. Blackwater Branding is a team of creatives that works with businesses and organizations.
5. Heritage Connection Gift Shop at 915 Main Street is an authentic shop that features hand-made African-styled garments. The shop also has tailoring options for suits, dresses, skirts, and more. Heritage Connection Gift Shop is also the home to handmade hats and designs for the community.
6. The White Hart Cafe at 1208 Main Street is a brunch and coffee shop. From the traditional breakfast to freshly brewed coffee, this shop is an example of “made from scratch.” This staple has been in the downtown area for nearly 15 years. The cafe carries its exclusive coffee beans for guests to bring home the White Hart experience.
7. Sylvia’s Boutique at 1111 Church Street is a new shop for women’s clothing from formal to business professional attire. The boutique is a place for trending but classy fashion and carries jewelry, shoes, and gifts.
8. The loving Co. at 901 Jefferson Street is a mix of a coffee shop and retail space. The new shop is the spotlight for small cultural events and performances. The shop also hosts a “Beans After Dark” event to support local musicians with a loving cup of coffee.
9. Oshun Organics at 1219 Main Street in the Lynchburg Community Market is the place to find personal and skin care needs. All products at Oshun Organics are handmade and dye-free. From essential oils to bath soaps, the shop is home to natural authentic, and uniquely crafted products.
10. Barb’s Dream Hut at 1219 Main Street in the Lynchburg Community Market is the home of an all-day country breakfast. The menu features breakfast sandwiches, biscuits, omelets, wings, and more. Barb’s Dream Hut crew has been serving the Lynchburg community for more than 30 years.
11. Venue @720 at 720 Commerce Street is one of the newest venues in the downtown area. The venue is the spotlight for poetry, art shows, pop-up shops, and music. The venue has lounge seating, dinner, and a bar with food.
12. Country Cooking by Irene at 1219 Main Street in the Lynchburg Community Market is where you can get the southern experience. With homestyle traditional foods like macaroni and cheese, cornbread, fried chicken, and vegetables, this kitchen is bringing the heat.
For more information on businesses and places to try in Downtown Lynchburg visit, Downtown Lynchburg Association.