UPDATE 1:35 p.m.: Bedford County fire officials shared additional details about Monday afternoon’s fires at a home on September Lane — which left eight people displaced, two dogs dead, and a firefighter injured — and a restaurant on Moneta Road.
According to the Bedford County Fire Marshal’s Office, at approximately 2:45 p.m. on Monday, April 12, fire officials say Bedford Communications received a 911 call about an explosion and a shed on fire close to a home in the 100 block of September Lane.
Members of the Moneta Fire Department, the Stewartsville-Chamblissburg Fire Department, the Bedford Fire Department, the Moneta Rescue Squad, Bedford County Fire and Rescue, and the Bedford County Fire Marshal’s Office were notified of the fire, officials say.
Shortly after crews arrived — which was around 3 p.m. — command reportedly requested a tanker task force for water supply, which added the Montvale Fire Department, the Saunders Fire Department and the Hardy Fire Department to the call.
The fire marshal’s office says crews were able to bring the fire under control around 4:30 p.m.
According to fire officials, the home is a total loss, leaving four adults and four children displaced. However, they are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.
Some of the adults and children who were displaced were reportedly in the home at the time of the fire, but they made it out safely.
In addition, as the Moneta Volunteer Fire Department previously announced, two dogs died and a Bedford firefighter was injured because of the fire. The Bedford County Fire Marshal’s Office says the firefighter was hospitalized with heat-related dehydration, but he was released around 8 p.m. on Monday and is expected to make a full recovery.
Meanwhile, at approximately 4 p.m. on Monday, Bedford Communications reportedly received a 911 call about a deep fryer on fire in a restaurant kitchen in the 8000 block of Moneta Road, which was being fed by propane gas.
Fire officials say the only people inside Tootsy’s Diner — which had already closed for the day — at the time of the fire were employees, all of whom escaped without any reports of injuries.
The Bedford Fire Department arrived at the scene at 4:12 p.m., turned off the gas, and brought the fire under control at approximately 4:16 p.m., according to fire officials.
The Bedford County Fire Marshal’s Office estimates the damage to be around $25,000. While there is no time frame for reopening at this point, the diner is expected to reopen for business.
Both of these fires are currently under investigation by the Bedford County Fire Marshal’s Office.
BEDFORD, Va. (WFXR) — Bedford County first responders found themselves at the scene of two working fires Monday afternoon, one at a house and one at a diner, but one of those fires resulted in the hospitalization of a Bedford firefighter.
The first one was the house fire reported along September Lane in Moneta at approximately 2:45 p.m. on Monday, April 12. Fire officials say that fire resulted in a member of the Bedford Fire Department sustaining non-life-threatening injuries, as well as the death of two dogs.
While units were operating at the scene of the September Lane fire, the Bedford Fire Department says a second fire was reported at Tootsy’s Diner at 8123 Moneta Road.
According to the department, crews responded to the diner and found a single-story commercial building with smoke showing from the side.
First responders then found and extinguished a grease fire in the rear of the building, fire officials say. Since there was no extension, command reportedly returned units not on scene to service.