CAMPBELL COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Campbell County Sheriff’s Office wants the public to be aware of card skimmers at gas stations.
Troopers are investigating several incidents where people were scammed at the pump. They have some helpful tips to keep you safe regarding card reader usage.
- Check the card reader.
- These readers are typically not noticeable from the outside of the pump
- Troopers say look for loose or bulky card reader
- There could be an extra piece to the card reader
- Card readers that are different color than other parts of the pump
- Reader that covers up markings like arrows or instructions
- Check for a gas pump seal
- If it looks tampered, inform gas station employee
- Cover pin entry when using the key pad
- Scammers tend to use cameras to attempt to see your pin
- Cover your entry helps deter this
- Check credit card and debit card statements periodically
- Report fraud to bank/credit card company and to local authorities