GALAX, Va. (WFXR) — A woman was found dead Monday after a reported shooting on Patridge Street in Galax, according to Police Chief DeWitt Cooper.
The call of a shooting came in early Monday, Dec. 23. Galax Police say the circumstances surrounding the woman’s death are still under investigation.
“Because at this point and time, we’re not sure- it’s just a shooting right now. We’re not sure if it’s a suicide or something else that could be criminal,” Cooper said.
Cooper says the woman is between the age of 18-21 and that, despite questioning multiple people, his department has no suspects at this point. His department has, so far, recovered three weapons from the residence.
It is unclear whether the woman was a resident of the home.
Virginia State Police is assisting with this investigation.
“Yes it is! Very unusual,” said Jean Harvey, who lives down the street. “This is a peaceful neighborhood and I’ve never, in five years, heard anything like that happening.”
She says she does not know who lives in the house, but is confident Monday’s incident is an isolated one.
“No, I’ve always felt safe here, and I don’t feel unsafe at all,” she said.
Investigators removed the caution tape surrounding the property around 5 p.m. Monday. Cooper said he expects his department to be able to share more details about the woman by Tuesday.
Stay with WFXRtv.com and the WFXR News app for updates on this story.
- Patrick Henry Community College receives new heavy-equipment simulators
- Holiday spending likely lower this season, according to Roanoke College Poll
- Roanoke County Police offers advice to prevent “Grinches” from stealing Christmas
- Roanoke City Public Schools, community partners give away 400 boxed meals for Thanksgiving
- Bedford County Sheriff, schools, local business team to provide needy families with pre-Thanksgiving dinners