GALAX, Va. (WFXR) — A woman was found dead Monday after a reported shooting on Patridge Street in Galax, according to Police Chief DeWitt Cooper.
The call of a shooting came in early Monday, Dec. 23. Galax Police say the circumstances surrounding the woman’s death are still under investigation.
“Because at this point and time, we’re not sure- it’s just a shooting right now. We’re not sure if it’s a suicide or something else that could be criminal,” Cooper said.
Cooper says the woman is between the age of 18-21 and that, despite questioning multiple people, his department has no suspects at this point. His department has, so far, recovered three weapons from the residence.
It is unclear whether the woman was a resident of the home.
Virginia State Police is assisting with this investigation.
“Yes it is! Very unusual,” said Jean Harvey, who lives down the street. “This is a peaceful neighborhood and I’ve never, in five years, heard anything like that happening.”
She says she does not know who lives in the house, but is confident Monday’s incident is an isolated one.
“No, I’ve always felt safe here, and I don’t feel unsafe at all,” she said.
Investigators removed the caution tape surrounding the property around 5 p.m. Monday. Cooper said he expects his department to be able to share more details about the woman by Tuesday.
Stay with WFXRtv.com and the WFXR News app for updates on this story.
- Only in Virginia; the special fish you’ll find no where else on the planet, and why they grow to be giants
- Washington DC one step closer to becoming a state as House passes bill
- Brandon Oaks employee uses art to bring cheer to residents
- Biden aims to slow climate change, grow jobs with new initiative
- Lynchburg Police say Tuesday killing helped reopen an unsolved 2017 homicide case