LEXINGTON, Va. (WFXR) — After hours of discussion, Lexington City Council unanimously voted Thursday night to rename Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery.
On Thursday, July 2, six speakers joined the City Council via Zoom in order to voice their thoughts. All six voiced support in renaming the cemetery. Another larger group of citizens emailed the City Council with the majority also supporting renaming the cemetery.
Lexington City Council decided against forming a committee, but instead plans to have the public join in on the renaming process. They plan to have a name decided on by Sept. 3.
The cemetery is where the Confederate General was buried. It was formerly known as the Presbyterian Cemetery and was renamed in 1949.
- High demand for flu shots as experts hope to avoid ‘twindemic’
- First-time voter? Here’s what you need to know
- ‘Not all wounds are visible’: Dog helps Virginia veteran cope with PTSD
- Big Game Bound Week 4: Titans vs. Steelers postponed
- Two full moons to shine in October