Home goes up in flames before residents get chance to move in

Local News

New details in Sunday’s devastating fire in Boonsboro – the property is being declared a total loss, according to the Boonsboro Volunteer Fire Department.

Now, neighbors are recounting the incredible scene that took multiple crews four hours to completely extinguish.

Neighbors tell WFXR that the residents had not even finished moving in, and had just signed on the property a few weeks prior.

(joshua jacks – lives down the street) “We went over there and there was just fire everywhere,” said Joshua Jacks, who lives with his mother – Holly – just down the street.

“The first thing that I heard was what sounded like a box of fireworks had been lit on fire,” Holly said, adding that it all started around 5 p.m.

Both agree it’s unlike anything they’ve ever seen.

“The entire house was engulfed in flames. I mean I just can’t get past the devastation,” Holly said. 

“The top of the A-frame- it was just pouring out at the top,” Joshua added.

Holly says she counted five fire departments on scene, and that she and several other neighbors pitched in for drinks and 10 pizzas as a thank-you.

She says the fire down the road has them talking about smoke detectors and fire escape plans.

“The scary thing is you don’t really think something like that can happen to you until it happens right down the street. It’s right there,” Joshua said.

Holly says she doesn’t know the people planning to call this place home, but still hopes to eventually be neighbors.

“We hope that they’ll rebuild here. And we hope that they join us,” she said.

WFXR contacted one of the residents for comment, who said they don’t have a statement to share.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form