Gas leak in Grandin Village closes Scratch Biscuit

Local News
gas leak_1476064706112.jpg

ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — The Scratch Biscuit Company announced on Monday morning that the restaurant would be closing its doors until further notice due to a gas leak at the neighboring Exxon.

According to a spokesperson from Scratch Biscuit named Nathan, employees noticed a lingering gasoline smell on Saturday, but they figured it was an accidental spill from the Exxon station next door. By Sunday morning, the smell was even stronger so Nathan called the Roanoke Fire Department.

In his post on the Grandin Village Facebook page, Nathan says that Scratch Biscuit closed early for Sunday brunch so the Roanoke Fire Department and HazMat crews could investigate the source of the smell.

That investigation uncovered a leak in Exxon’s underground gas tank. According to Nathan, the tank was emptied on Sunday night, but it will still need to be dug up.

Fire officials reportedly suggested that Scratch Biscuit stay closed for Monday, but Nathan says he hopes to reopen in the next day or so.

“I am hoping to be back open very soon, but will not open back up till we are given 100% assurance everything is safe,” says Nathan. “Have no fear though, everything in our building is safe and ready to roll again, we just don’t want people around the fumes and we will be baking biscuits very soon again!”

LATEST STORIES:

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form