GALAX, Va. (WFXR) — With Christmas less than three weeks away, the Galax Volunteer Fire Department aims to raise $30,000 to feed 550 local families with its annual Community Christmas Food Fund.
The fundraiser will kick off with an auction from 2-4:30 p.m. today at the Food City at 955 E Stuart Drive in Galax. Classic County 98.1 FM WBRF and WCGX “The Cat” will air a live broadcast of the auction on the radio, so even if you don’t have time to stop in, you can call in to pledge your support.
The event will feature performances by The Loosestrings quartet.
Items up for auction include:
- A kayak donated by Chestnut Creek Trading, LLC;
- A bedroom suit donated by Vaughan-Bassett Furniture Company;
- A propane heater donated by Cockerham Energy;
- A set of two chairs and ottomans donated by Albany Industries;
- A Lazy Boy recliner donated by Guynn’s Old Mill Furniture;
- A cool gel 12″ mattress donated by Matthew’s Five & Dime Store;
- An 18V cordless sawzall donated by Merritt Supply Inc; and
- An electric weed-eater donated by Twin County Saw & Mower.
However, the auction is not the only way to help provide food boxes to area families in need.
Community members can send donations to the GFD Christmas Community Food Fund at PO Box 330, Galax, VA 24333.
You can also help pack these 1,100 food boxes on Thursday, Dec. 19 at 7 p.m. at the Galax Fire Department at 300 W Grayson Street.
For those who wonder what it would be like to be Santa for a day, you can help deliver these food boxes to hundreds of families by coming to the Galax Fire Department on Sunday, Dec. 22 at 7 a.m.
Applications to receive a food box for your family are due by Wednesday, Dec. 11. In order to apply, please call your local Department of Social Services:
- Galax Department of Social Services: (276) 236-88111
- Grayson County Department of Social Services: (276) 773-2452
- Carroll County Department of Social Services: (276)730-3130
- Virginia Tech’s full 2020 football schedule announced
- Virginia Announces 2020 Football Schedule
- Dry pattern will yield to rain Friday.
- The ultimate guide to Super Bowl commercials
- The rules of engagement for inclusion in the workplace