FRANKLIN COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — New court documents obtained by WFXRtv.com show Franklin County murder victim Rodney Brown had previously been charged with abuse and neglect associated with his child. The child is not Michael Brown, Rodney Brown’s alleged murderer, though Michael Brown and a child of Rodney Brown were placed in foster care.
The documents from 2006 show the court document was originally filed as Rodney Brown v. Vanessa Hanson. She is the mother of Michael Brown. An attorney for Rodney Brown filed documents with the juvenile court asking for Hanson to be removed from the filings.
“This case has absolutely nothing to do with Vanessa Hanson,” the letter from attorney Cheryl K. Brunner read.
It is unclear what specifically led to the charges against Rodney Brown or why the charges were dismissed and how long Michael Brown and the other child were in foster care.
Michael Brown is accused of killing Rodney Brown on Nov. 9 at Rodney’s Franklin County home. He has been on the run since. Michael Brown was last seen more than a week ago in Roanoke.
Read the documents below. Names of minor children have been redacted.
- Bedford County Public Schools announces plans for 2020-21 school year
- Pinpoint Weather: Spotty showers and storms to end the holiday weekend
- Facebook groups pivot to attacks on Black Lives Matter
- WATCH AGAIN: Fourth of July fireworks in downtown Gatlinburg, Tennessee
- Historic Lynchburg landmark allows visitors to walk through history on Fourth of July