FRANKLIN COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — New court documents obtained by WFXRtv.com show Franklin County murder victim Rodney Brown had previously been charged with abuse and neglect associated with his child. The child is not Michael Brown, Rodney Brown’s alleged murderer, though Michael Brown and a child of Rodney Brown were placed in foster care.
The documents from 2006 show the court document was originally filed as Rodney Brown v. Vanessa Hanson. She is the mother of Michael Brown. An attorney for Rodney Brown filed documents with the juvenile court asking for Hanson to be removed from the filings.
“This case has absolutely nothing to do with Vanessa Hanson,” the letter from attorney Cheryl K. Brunner read.
It is unclear what specifically led to the charges against Rodney Brown or why the charges were dismissed and how long Michael Brown and the other child were in foster care.
Michael Brown is accused of killing Rodney Brown on Nov. 9 at Rodney’s Franklin County home. He has been on the run since. Michael Brown was last seen more than a week ago in Roanoke.
Read the documents below. Names of minor children have been redacted.
- Pulaski County animal rescue seeking donations for dog shot three times
- Gayle Manchin sworn-in as Federal Co-chair of the Appalachian Regional Commission
- Averett University to hold Nurse Pinning, White Coat Ceremonies Friday
- New rules could be in store for Wall Street after GameStop stock saga, SEC Chairman says
- Drivers can expect delays on I-81 South near exit 114 next week due to paving