GALAX, Va. (WFXR) — An evening house fire in Galax killed two pets and left a resident displaced.
The Galax Fire Department announced on Wednesday, March 4 that a caller reported a house fire along Gladeville Heights at 5:41 p.m. and the first units on the scene discovered fire blowing out the back of a 2000 square foot, two-story brick house.
According to the department, initial reports indicated the occupant and multiple pets were inside the house, but as more firefighters arrived, crews learned that only the six pets were trapped in the house.
Fire officials say a deputy from the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office rescued one cat. One crew of Galax firefighters pulled a hose to suppress and quickly contain the fire while the other crew located and removed three cats and one dog, the department says.
The department says the Pipers Gap Rescue Squad and EMTs from the Galax Fire Department began resuscitation efforts using animal oxygen masks donated by the public. According to fire officials, four of the six pets were saved, but one cat and one dog died from smoke inhalation.
Crews extinguished the fire, but the department says the kitchen was gutted — along with some extension into the attic — while the rest of the house sustained smoke and heat damage.
The Galax Fire Department recognized the Hillsville Fire Department for providing assistance in the form of extra equipment and manpower. All units reportedly cleared the scene of the residential fire in two hours, along with another hour of cleanup back at the station.
The displaced resident is staying with relatives, according to the department, but there is no word on the current status of the animals.