BLACKSBURG, Va. (WFXR) — The Virginia Tech campus was buzzing with energy after emergency vehicles surrounded a dorm building on Monday afternoon.
Montgomery County Emergency Services say that Blacksburg Fire Department was dispatched at 12:19 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 24 to Miles Hall. The first units on scene reported heavy smoke on the second floor and a fire inside one of the dorm rooms, after which officials declared a working structure fire.
Members of the Christiansburg Volunteer Fire Department and the Virginia Tech Rescue Squad responded to the fire for mutual aid, but Montgomery County Emergency Services says the first firefighters on the scene brought the fire under control in less than five minutes.
Authorities say there are no reports of injuries and that students were allowed to return to Miles Hall less than an hour after the fire.
- Teenage pilot flies medical supplies to rural hospitals across Virginia
- Del. Carroll Foy files to run for Virginia governor
- ‘We have never been this sick’: Virginia COVID-19 survivors share stories of their experience
- Carilion Clinic closes NICU to parents, other visitors amid coronavirus concerns
- Strong to severe storms possible Wednesday and Thursday