GALAX, Va. (WFXR) — First responders used a boat to evacuate a Galax family in the middle of the night due to rising waters surrounding the house.
The Galax Fire Department announced on Thursday, May 28 that units were dispatched to a possible water rescue at 789 Delhart Road at 1:11 a.m. When units arrived at the scene, they found water surrounding the residence and a fast-moving stream still rising.
Before the call became an emergency, fire officials say the five family members were evacuated and brought to dry ground by a Galax Fire Department boat crew.
Thanks to assistance from Red Cross, the family spent the night in a local hotel, the department says.
In addition, power was pulled to another residence in the same area due to flooding in the basement, according to officials. The department says all units cleared the area in the span of 30 minutes.
- ‘Disasters don’t discriminate’: Health officials push to protect communities of color from COVID-19
- Department of Commerce to invest $400K in CARES Act funding to New River Valley Regional Commission
- ACC will make a decision about the future of fall sports in late July
- Virginia’s Loudoun County to remove Confederate monument
- State Police investigate fatal crash in Wythe County