Family displaced after fire breaks out in Galax house with cat inside

Local News
(Photo: Courtesy Galax Fire Department)

(Photo: Courtesy Galax Fire Department)

GALAX, Va. (WFXR) — A family and their feline are safe — albeit displaced — after first responders extinguished a fire that broke out in their home in Galax.

According to a Facebook post from the Galax Fire Department on Wednesday, June 24, crews were dispatched at 6:23 p.m. for a report of a structure fire at 309 Parkwood Drive. When units arrived on scene, they reportedly saw smoke coming from the from the story-and-a-half single family dwelling.

Crews quickly brought the fire under control, but a search of the second floor led first responders to discover the family cat, the department says. The cat is in stable condition after being treated by Galax-Grayson EMS, according to fire officials.

Authorities say the family was out during the fire, which was discovered and called in by a contractor. While the fire did leave the family displaced, the department says the house and most of its contents were saved.

“Galax Fire responded with 7 apparatus and 23 firefighters. Outstanding job by all,” the Galax Fire Department wrote on Facebook. “Prayers up for the family please.”

Latest Stories

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form