ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR)– Who’s up for a little camping this summer? Camping has seen a huge jump in popularity since the pandemic. According to a report from Kampgrounds of America (KOA), Americans are planning more outings this year.
Since people are planning to be outdoors it’s important to stay safe while camping, here is a list of few essentials you’ll need for camping.
10 camping essentials:
- Map or compass
- Sun protection, such as sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, etc.
- First aid kits
- Pocket knife or multi tool
- Appropriate clothing for weather
- Appropriate shoes for weather
“We have a beautiful area and there’s so many places to explore and it’s a great way to spend family and enjoy the outdoors,” Susan Herndon-Powell, the outdoor recreation supervisor with Roanoke Parks and Recreation.
7 principles of “Leave No Trace”
- Plane ahead and prepare
- Travel and camp on durable surfaces
- Dispose of waste properly
- Leave what you Find
- Minimize campfire impacts, when and where campfires are permitted, keep them as small as possible.
- Respect wildlife
- Be considerate of other visitors
These seven principles are the outdoor ethics meant to keep people and the environment safe.
Experts remind campers that you are in nature and animals are everywhere. Also, check the weather before heading out because depending, on Mother Nature, you may have to reschedule.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list