Score: Eastern Mennonite 87, Roanoke 72
Records: Roanoke 8-13, 3-9 ODAC | Eastern Mennonite 14-6, 9-3 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va. | Cregger Center
The Lead: Chloe Roach scored a game-high 25 points as Eastern Mennonite topped Roanoke 87-72 in ODAC Women’s Basketball action Saturday afternoon in Salem.
How it Happened:
- Cary Beahm had a team-high 21 points for the Maroons. Chris Martin dropped in a career-high 19 points and a career-best 12 rebounds in the win. Bridget Holleran scored 11 points and dished out seven assists, while Allison Yeaw had 10 points for the Maroons.
- Roach was one of four Royals in double-figures. Joane Guest had 17 points and a game-high 13 rebounds. Myneshia Walker added 16 points, while Chrissy Delawder added 11 off the bench for EMU.
- Roanoke shot 45.2% for the game, converting 28-of-62 shots from the floor. EMU was 28-of-74 for 37.8% and connected on 24-of-30 free-throw attempts in the win.
- The first quarter was tied 16-16 with under three minutes to go when Walker hit back-to-back three-pointers in what proved to be a 10-2 run for EMU to close out the opening 10 minutes of play.
- Roanoke rallied in the second quarter and outscored EMU 13-6 in the first seven minutes, cutting its deficit to just one point following a Yeaw three-pointer that made the score 32-31.
- The Royals led 38-35 at halftime then scored the first 10 points of the second-half, pushing ahead 48-35 with 7:33 to go in the third.
- RC was able to cut the lead to eight points when an Allison Livengood bucket made the score 56-48, but EMU finished with a 10-2 spurt over the final two minutes to take a 66-50 lead headed into the fourth quarter.
- With EMU leading 68-57 with seven minutes to play in the game, RC went on a 13-2 run that was capped by a Beahm jumper that made the score 75-70 with three minutes to play.
- That would be as close as the Maroons would get as EMU got back-to-back baskets to go back up nine points and then went 8-for-8 from the foul line in the final 26 seconds to seal the win.
Up Next: Roanoke will head to Randolph on Wednesday for a 7:00 p.m. ODAC game.