ROANOKE, Va (WFXR) – The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is creatively persuading drivers to be careful on the roadways on this July 4th weekend.
As drivers cruise the interstate across the commonwealth, they’re met with a reminder.
I got a kick out of it. Cause I’ve never seen anything like that.”Joy Potmus, Driver
It’s a sign that says, ‘You’re not a firework, don’t drive lit’.
Those message boards are certainly a way to directly communicate to drivers.”Jason Bond, VDOT Spokesman
These messages are being received loud and clear.
It’s a nice light message I would say; because it’s a very serious thing especially around the holidays.”Joy Postmus, Driver
Joy Postmus knows first hand the impact of drinking and driving.
Lifetime neighbor passed away in a drunk driving accident after a football game.”Joy Postmus, Driver
She’s urging people while you enjoy the holiday, keep in mind the message behind the sign.
Remind people to drive safe and drive when your not intoxicated.”Joy Postmus, Driver
VDOT says drivers are becoming complacent when driving and reading signs. This is a clever way that will engage drivers and drive home an important message. To not drink and drink.
- Newsfeed Now: Juneteenth becomes national holiday; Cave visitors experience rare fog phenomenon
- Putin praised Biden, experts say that could mean he’s rattled
- Texas veterinarian accused of animal cruelty after boarded dog dies
- Tips to keep your home cool during a heat wave
- Video: Man accidentally shoots himself in face at gun range