VINTON, Va. (WFXR) — Roanoke County firefighters and rescue crews were dispatched to a fire at an apartment building early Friday afternoon in Vinton.
According to the Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department, the crews responded to a report of a commercial structure fire in the 200 block of 8th Street in Vinton around 12:40 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 28.
The first crews on the scene — who came from the station in Vinton — reportedly discovered light smoke coming from the window of an apartment on the third floor. Firefighters extinguished the fire in approximately 25 minutes, authorities say.
Fire officials say an elderly woman and a visiting juvenile were in the apartment at the time of the fire, but they made it out safely. According to the Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department, paramedics treated the woman at the scene for other medical problems before transporting her to a local hospital. The elderly woman and the apartment’s two other displaced residents are reportedly receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.
Firefighters also rescued a dog from the apartment and provided it oxygen, according to authorities.
The Roanoke County Fire Marshal’s Office ruled the fire as accidental due to improper disposal of smoking materials, which resulted in approximately $11,000 in damages.
“Roanoke County Fire and Rescue would like to remind everyone that smoking materials should only be disposed of in a non-combustible container like a metal can,” says the department’s Community Outreach Coordinator, Brian Clingenpeel.
- EXCLUSIVE: Stolen drone returned to the Roanoke Valley Children’s Choir by good samaritan
- Churches pay for billboards to oppose Virginia casino
- Texas woman dies of COVID-19 while on commercial flight
- Indiana man admits to pushing toddler down stairs after argument over food, court docs show
- Kirstie Alley defends Trump vote, responds to ‘nasty people’