ROCKINGHAM COUNTY, N.C. (WFXR) — Rockingham County deputies arrested two women from southern Virginia early Sunday morning for child abuse, saying they left their young children in a vehicle while they visited a North Carolina gambling venue.
The Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office says deputies arrested 40-year-old Claudia Denise White of Danville and 23-year-old Keyarra Symone Hairston of Martinsville around 1 a.m. on Sunday, March 1. Each is now facing one of misdemeanor child abuse.
According to the Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office, deputies located a vehicle with the engine off, a cold hood, and two unattended children inside at the 220 Internet Cafe in Stoneville, North Carolina. Authorities say that the deputies learned that children’s mothers had been inside the gaming establishment for approximately two to three hours while their children waited in the vehicle.
Authorities placed White and Hairston in the Rockingham County Detention Facility under a $20,000 secured bond with court appearances scheduled for April 2, according to officials.
- Roanoke Police investigate after man arrives at hospital with gunshot wound while driving on I-581
- Man accused of severing phone, internet cables at Richmond law firm sought by police
- Pelosi announces bipartisan deal to avoid shutdown
- Giraffe watch 2020? Zoo home to April the Giraffe anticipates another birth
- Virginia House committee votes to kill bill on reducing charge for assaulting police