ROCKINGHAM COUNTY, N.C. (WFXR) — Rockingham County deputies arrested two women from southern Virginia early Sunday morning for child abuse, saying they left their young children in a vehicle while they visited a North Carolina gambling venue.
The Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office says deputies arrested 40-year-old Claudia Denise White of Danville and 23-year-old Keyarra Symone Hairston of Martinsville around 1 a.m. on Sunday, March 1. Each is now facing one of misdemeanor child abuse.
According to the Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office, deputies located a vehicle with the engine off, a cold hood, and two unattended children inside at the 220 Internet Cafe in Stoneville, North Carolina. Authorities say that the deputies learned that children’s mothers had been inside the gaming establishment for approximately two to three hours while their children waited in the vehicle.
Authorities placed White and Hairston in the Rockingham County Detention Facility under a $20,000 secured bond with court appearances scheduled for April 2, according to officials.
- Criminal justice expert, former police officer discusses future of policing following Chauvin verdict
- Forest Service shelters available along southern Appalachian Trail, including George Washington and Jefferson National Forests
- UPDATE: Ferrum College under lockdown procedures while authorities investigating shot fired
- Pinpoint Weather: Windy and Cold Overnight, Dry and Brisk Thursday
- Subaru recalling nearly 875K vehicles over engine, suspension issues