DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) – Danville Utilities has alerted customers about a payment scam that’s circulating the region.
Scammers are using a local number that is spoofing Danville Utilities’ phone number. The caller falsely claims to be with the Utilities Department and threatens to disconnect service if the customer does not make an immediate payment by debit or credit card.
Danville Utilities does not place phone calls to customers about disconnections. Any notice of disconnecting is done by mail.
Households and businesses are often targets of these types of scams.
If you receive a call like this from someone you do not know, capture the phone number and hang up the phone and proceed to contact the Division of Customer Accounts at (434) 799-5125.
- Trump’s Supreme Court nominee moves toward Senate vote despite boycott by Dems
- Funding options presented for Cool Branch Volunteer Fire Department
- Virginia Tech’s Chamarri Conner earns Beamer’s No. 25 jersey for Saturday’s game at Wake Forest
- Pinpoint Weather: Warmer than usual pattern continues, clouds and rain expected over the weekend in Western Virginia
- New pop-up program established to attract business to Altavista’s Main Street District