DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — The director of the City of Danville Parks and Recreation Department, Bill Sgrinia, has announced a new director of the Danville Public Library.
Sgrinia selected Russell Carter as the new director. Carter served as interim director since October 2019 and will assume the position full time on July 1.
“Russell has hit the ground running after being appointed interim library director, and I am confident he will continue to deliver the best possible library services for our patrons,” Sgrinia said.
As interim director, Carter was responsible for initiating several new programs and services, including “Good Night Home Town,” which uses social media to provide children’s bedtime stories to the community.
“I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity to serve the community as a part of the library team. They have always done amazing work, and I am honored to earn the chance to help in any way I can,” Carter said.
Carter joined the Parks and Recreation staff in 2012 as the communications specialist. Before joining the Parks and Recreation staff, he worked for the Chatham Star Tribune.
- Ferrum pitcher Will Davis finds success in Martinsville
- Duke hires Celtics’ Kara Lawson as women’s basketball coach
- Virginia sheriff’s deputy who said he was attacked Friday night charged with falsely summonsing law enforcement and obstruction of justice
- Boy calls for help; says his father shot his mother in Wythe County, authorities say
- Walking through African American history at Old City Cemetery