DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — Two Danville men were arrested for drug-related charges on Friday after they attempted to escape from police.
At 3:45 p.m. on Friday, May 22, police attempted to stop a black Dodge Charger on Franklin Turnpike near the city limits. However, the Charger attempted to outrun the police at a high rate of speed into Pittsylvania County.
Shortly afterward, another officer located the vehicle crashed and abandoned at the intersection of Orphanage Road and Walnut Creek Road in Pittsylvania County.
Citizens told officers that they occupants fled and a perimeter was set up and a full-scale search was initiated by the Pittsylvania County Sheriff’s Office. A citizen spotted two suspicious individuals at 7:45 p.m. and notified law enforcement, who identified them as the occupants and took them into custody.
Police say 30-year-old Stevie Jeffery Wallace and 25-year-old Dyontiez Corwin Whitehead were charged with possession with intent to distribute marijuana. They are being held in the Danville City Jail as the investigation continues.
Additional charges are expected.
Side note: Social media reports stated that shots were fired at police. City officials say those online reports were not true.
- Top Virginia Department of Fire Programs official accused of defrauding education assistance program
- US deaths from coronavirus surpass 100,000 milestone
- Tractor-trailer crash on I-81 in Pulaski County snarles evening traffic
- Virginians struggling with mental health during pandemic: overdose, trauma & suicidal thoughts
- Pinpoint Weather: Remnants of Bertha move over the Blue Ridge tonight.