DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — A Danville home has been ruled as unsafe for occupants — including its current occupant — due to widespread damages from a Saturday night house fire.
The Danville Fire Department says that units were dispatched to a house fire at 748 Stokes Street around 9:33 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 15. The first vehicle reportedly arrived at the scene by 9:37 p.m. and personnel saw smoke and flames coming from the front of a small, one-story house.
According to the department, crews confirmed that nobody was inside the house before launching an interior attack and containing the fire to a bedroom.
Danville Fire Department says that 16 fire personnel remained on the scene for nearly two hours with assistance from members of the Danville Life Saving Crew, Danville Utilities, and the Danville Police Department.
Even though firefighters contained the fire to one room, the whole house reportedly sustained smoke and heat damage. Fire officials say that discarded smoking materials caused the fire.
The house’s sole occupant was already outside the house when crews arrived and — according to Danville Fire Department’s comment on Twitter — did not sustain any injuries. Since fire officials describe the house as “not livable now,” the resident plans to stay with a friend.