UPDATE 1:32 p.m.: Salem fire officials say Mac and Bob’s sustained thousands of dollars in damages following Monday morning’s accidental fire.
According to Salem Fire and EMS Department, crews responded to the commercial structure fire at 316 E Main Street at 9:28 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 31. The department says employees inside the building smelled smoke, discovered a fire in the roof area near the front entrance, called 911, and evacuated the restaurant unharmed.
Of the 22 personnel who responded to the call, fire officials say the first units on the scene reportedly arrived within three minutes of receiving the call and found moderate smoke both throughout the building and along the line of the roof.
In addition, the department says firefighters spent more than an hour bringing the fire under control, adding that the heavy rain made fire operations more difficult.
According to fire officials, the Salem Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire to be accidental due to an electrical malfunction above the drop ceiling just inside the front entrance. The department’s preliminary estimate indicates the restaurant sustained approximately $10,000 in damages.
UPDATE 10:51 a.m.: Monday morning’s fire at Mac and Bob’s has been completely extinguished, according to a WFXR News crew on the scene in Salem.
SALEM, Va. (WFXR) — Crews are currently working the scene of an active fire at a Salem restaurant.
Salem Fire and EMS Department told WFXR News firefighters are currently at Mac and Bob’s, which closed recently due to a number of employees testing positive for the coronavirus.
WFXR News has a crew on the way to the scene for the latest details.