Montvale Recreation Center a total loss after early morning fire

Local News

MONTVALE, Va. (WFXR) — The Montvale Recreation Center is a total loss after catching fire early Friday morning. Ann Switzer, the Recreation Center’s president says, it has been a staple to the community for nearly 40 years.

According to Bedford County emergency services, firefighters got the call around 2:20 a.m.

Switzer says she got a call from the Bedford Sheriff’s Office at around 3 a.m., saying that the entire building was up in flames. By the time she arrived, the center was completely engulfed and the roof had collapsed.

The Center was community owned and run and was mainly used for weddings, baby showers, and parties.

Now, Switzer says, there’s nothing left.

Her next step is to get with the insurance company. Then she wants to get it cleaned up, and get with the community to possibly rebuild.

No one was hurt in the fire.

Latest Stories

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form