LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) — Turning passion into action is the goal of the advocacy group Lynchburg RISE, which stands for Reaching Inclusivity and Systemic Equality.
On Friday, July 3, the group organized a clothing drive through its Family Resources Committee. Other committees in the group focus on achieving tangible change throughout Lynchburg in areas like education, health and nutrition, and the arts.
“There are other committees that are also doing work throughout the city that might not be so obvious as a bunch of bags of clothes,” said Merry Joy DeCarmo, a volunteer with Lynchburg RISE, “but we are still working and moving in all areas of the city.”
The group was started after mostly peaceful protests, which began in late May.
If you would like to get involved, they say the best way to reach them is through the Lynchburg RISE Facebook group.
- Emergency SNAP benefits promised in Virginia for mid-August
- Live video: President Trump visits the Whirlpool plant in Clyde
- Pinpoint Weather: Strong to severe storms expected with gusty winds and heavy rain into the night
- Liberty keeps three ACC matchups in 2020 football schedule
- Young boy becomes state trooper for a day with help from Rocky Mount law enforcement, K9