BUCHANAN, Va. (WFXR) — Sunday marked the fifth anniversary of the Fallen Heroes Tree in Buchanan.
There are 388 stars on the tree representing a fallen firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty this year across the country.
In total, the stars represent 263 police officers, 80 firefighters, 17 K9 officers, and 28 people who died from complications due to 9/11.
“Every family who has a star of a loved one on this tree, this is their first Christmas without them. This is their first holiday season without their loved one,” said Bill Price, a firefighter with the Buchanan Volunteer Fire Department. “So, I thought it was important to make sure those families knew that they were not forgotten, even in the small town of Buchanan.”
This is the second year that the tree will be displayed in front of the firehouse, where it will remain lit until New Years Day.
- Border crossing briefly shuts down as asylum-seekers try to enter U.S.
- How Cabo Fish Taco is participating in Downtown Roanoke Restaurant Week
- How to enjoy a Saturday of biking with Cardinal Bicycle
- Why knowing your food is “100% grown on American soil” is so important with Pictsweet Farms
- Former Northside, Virginia Tech soccer player Daniel Pereira selected first overall in MLS SuperDraft