BUCHANAN, Va. (WFXR) — Sunday marked the fifth anniversary of the Fallen Heroes Tree in Buchanan.
There are 388 stars on the tree representing a fallen firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty this year across the country.
In total, the stars represent 263 police officers, 80 firefighters, 17 K9 officers, and 28 people who died from complications due to 9/11.
“Every family who has a star of a loved one on this tree, this is their first Christmas without them. This is their first holiday season without their loved one,” said Bill Price, a firefighter with the Buchanan Volunteer Fire Department. “So, I thought it was important to make sure those families knew that they were not forgotten, even in the small town of Buchanan.”
This is the second year that the tree will be displayed in front of the firehouse, where it will remain lit until New Years Day.
- March for Life returns to Virginia Capitol as abortion rights are on the ballot in statewide elections
- Federal judge rules US can’t expel families via Title 42
- Amazon to employ 1,500 from both sides of the border at new California facility
- Liberty University launches first Global Center for Mental, Addiction, and Recovery
- US lawmakers concerned about negative impact Instagram has on teens’ mental health