ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — The Jake Aldridge Memorial Classic will return on Tuesday, Nov. 26, to honor a young man lost to local gun violence.
Jake died on the morning of July 12, 2018, after being shot in the head in Northeast Roanoke. He was only 19 years old at the time.
The following November, Jake’s father Mark Aldridge organized a basketball tournament in Jake’s memory. The tournament featured two full games with halftime entertainment. The profits from raffles, concessions, t-shirts, and ticket sales were donated to the Jake Aldridge Memorial Fund.
The second annual Jake Aldridge Memorial Classic will feature the Lord Botetourt Cavaliers playing against the Salem Spartans at 5:30 p.m. and the Northside Vikings versus the Patrick Henry Patriots at 7 p.m.
- Duke hangs on to beat Georgia Tech, ending 3-game skid
- Pregnant women should not take Moderna vaccine, WHO advises
- Botetourt County leaders accept committee’s report on Confederate monument, further discussions expected
- Sen. Patrick Leahy taken to hospital
- In-home daycare operator in Norfolk charged with murder in 2-year-old girl’s death