Advice from professionals about preventing a fire in your home

Local News

(WFXR) — Firefighters say this is a common time of the year for house fires because people are turning on things like furnaces and space heaters, as well as lighting candles during the winter season.

Fire officials recommend having your furnace checked out before turning it on and making sure your space heater is at least three feet away from anything flammable.

Experts also say you should never leave a burning candle unattended.

In addition, professionals warn against using your oven as a heater and leaving any cords tangled up in your home.

According to fire officials, you should also make sure your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly and have functioning batteries.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form