UPDATE 5:29 p.m.: Authorities have released the name of the victim who was found dead in his home Friday night.
Deputies responded to a call regarding shots fired on Grace Drive. Robert Wayne Williams, 39, was found just inside the doorway to the apartment with what appeared to be multiple gunshot wounds.
The Henry County Sheriff’s Office says after life-saving measures were taken, the victim was pronounced dead at the scene.
The sheriff’s office is currently looking for a person of interest, Douglas Hampton Gillespie, 25, of Bassett.
BASSETT, Va. (WFXR) — The Henry County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a homicide that occurred Friday night.
Authorities received a call around 10:40 p.m. Friday night, and officers arrived on scene to find one man dead in an apartment.
Henry County Sheriff Lane Perry says they are looking for a couple of people that may have relevant information — Doug Gillespie and Michael Hodges Jr. — possibly in a small, black SUV crossover vehicle.
The body has been taken to the medical examiner’s office in Roanoke. The name of the victim is not being released at this time.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call the Henry County Sheriff’s Office at (276) 656-4200. The Crimestoppers Program is offering rewards up to $2,500 for information related to crime.
- Pinpoint Weather: The heat continues, storms approach late Thursday evening
- Tracking the Tropics: What’s the difference between hurricanes and typhoons?
- WATCH @ 1:30 P.M.: Dr. Morrow to discuss COVID-19 trends around Roanoke City and Alleghany Health Districts
- Tokyo’s Olympic Village: The most COVID tested community in the world
- Virginia Gov. Northam reviewing possible mask changes following updated CDC guidance