CHRISTIANSBURG, Va. (WFXR) – Winter is certainly here which means cold temperatures are resulting in teeth chattering, knees knocking and bodies shivering.
While turning up the heat might be fine for some of us, others may be concerned about the cost of cranking up the thermostat which could bring alternatives to heating your home into play.
Space heaters, while popular, can also pose significant risks if they are not used properly.
The Christiansburg Volunteer Fire Department has some tips for safely heating your home.
Some things to keep in mind include:
- Keeping flammable objects several feet away from your heating source
- Turning off the unit before you leave the room
- Don’t use an oven as a heating source for your home
- Have a heating unit with overheat protection
- Don’t use a surge protector or an extension cord to plug in a space heater
- Properly inspect your heating unit before turning it on
For more information and other tips about using alternative heating sources, click here.