SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE, Va. (WFXR) — Avast ye, landlubbers! Hoist the colors and prepare to be boarded because Smith Mountain Lake Pirate Days is back in southwest Virginia, offering a weekend full of fun for buccaneers of all ages!
Each year, Smith Mountain Lake holds a weekend of pirate-themed events, including a ball, live music, and a costume contest. Businesses and restaurants around the lake also offer special deals.
See the full Smith Mountain Lake Pirate Days schedule below:
- Friday, July 15
- The Pirate’s Ball at Mango’s at 7 p.m.
- Costume contest in the bar at Jake’s Place
- Saturday, July 16
- Pancakes with Pirates at Mexico Viejo from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. with the Smith Mountain Lake Chamber of Commerce
- Pirate Throwdown at Jake’s Place at noon, featuring water fights, plank walking, and a DJ
- Crazy Horse Pirate Fest from noon to 9 p.m., with vendors, live music, kids’ activities, and pirates and mermaids
- Pirate Days specials at Drifter’s
- Pirate activities at Mariner’s Landing
- Sunday, July 17
- Paddle Sports Poker Run at Crazy Horse Marina
- Party with the Pirates at Drifter’s at noon
WFXR News’ Hazelmarie Anderson took to the high seas — or the high lakes, that is — to get a sneak peek of this weekend’s festivities, speaking with Smith Mountain Lake Pirate Days’ Commodore P.J. Nagel and Capt. Christopher Bechtler.
Just a reminder, though, that water balloons are no longer allowed at the Pirate Days events due to a new Virginia law passed last year, which states, “It is unlawful for any individual 16 years of age or older or other person to intentionally release, discard, or cause to be released or discarded outdoors any balloon made of a nonbiodegradable or nonphotodegradable material or any material that requires more than five minutes’ contact with air or water to degrade.”
The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office also urges any Pirate Days attendees to obey boating laws and to avoid drinking and boating.