STUART, Va. (WFXR) — Appalachian Power recently announced its plans for the first step in making improvements to a power grid serving five Virginia counties, including Patrick and Carroll counties.
The Stuart Area Improvements Project will provide a new electrical source to accommodate the current electrical need in these counties and increase electric reliability.
The first step of the Stuart Area Improvements Project is the Stuart-Willis Gap Transmission Line Project located in Patrick and Carroll counties.
The Stuart-Willis Gap Transmission Line Project will involve:
- Constructing 22 miles of 138-kilovolt transmission line
- Building two new substations
- Retiring the current Stuart substation
Retiring old equipment and replacing it with modern equipment reduces the need for maintenance and improves service reliability. Installing additional power sources will prevent loss of power to customers should the existing transmission line lose power for an extended time.
The project is still in its planning stages and has yet to be approved by the Virginia State Corporation Commission. Once approved, the Stuart-Willis Gap Transmission Line may not be completed until the fall of 2025.
Appalachian Power invites property owners and members of the community impacted by this project to attend any of several open houses at which they can learn more about the project and share input.
If attending an in-person open house, face coverings are encouraged. In-person open houses are scheduled as follows:
- Wednesday, Oct. 20, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Stuart Rotary Field (Hooker Building), 420 Woodland Drive Stuart, VA
- Thursday, Oct. 21, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Ararat Ruritan Club, 4711 Ararat Highway, Ararat, VA
Virtual town halls are planned as follows:
- Thursday, Oct. 28, noon to 1 p.m. (If joining by phone, dial 1-415-655-0001 and enter the following access code when prompted: 2438 072 6918)
- Thursday, Oct. 28, 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. (If joining by phone, dial 1-415-655-0001 and enter the following access code when prompted: 2436 288 2978)
Either of the two virtual town halls listed above can also be accessed online via AppalachianPower.com/StuartTownHall2 with the password: Stuart.
For more information, you can visit AppalachianPower.com/Stuart.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list