AMHERST COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — An employee of Amherst County High School has been charged with cruelty and injuries to children.
A statement from the Amherst County Sheriff’s Office said it received information last month about an alleged assault at Amherst County High School on Nov. 26, 2018, involving a school employee and a student. The nature of the incident has not been disclosed in order to protect the privacy of the child and his or her family, the sheriff’s office said.
Carla C. Campbell of Amherst is charged with cruelty and injuries to children, a class six felony.
Dr. William Wells, Assistant Superintendent at Amherst County Schools, said “all necessary and appropriate action in this case, in accordance with policy and regulations, at the time of the incident. However, we are not able to comment further, as this is a personnel matter involving a former employee.”
He confirmed Campbell we an instructional assistant at Amhrest County Schools from January 2016 to November 2018, the same month of the incident.
- Criminal justice expert, former police officer discusses future of policing following Chauvin verdict
- Forest Service shelters available along southern Appalachian Trail, including George Washington and Jefferson National Forests
- Ferrum College alerts campus to start lockdown procedures
- Pinpoint Weather: Windy and Cold Overnight, Dry and Brisk Thursday
- Subaru recalling nearly 875K vehicles over engine, suspension issues