RICHMOND, Va. (WFXR) – A Covington man’s purchase of a $10 Virginia Lottery scratcher ticket has yielded him a profit of 100,000 times the value of the ticket.
Edward Lee Dressler scratched a Virginia Lottery 20X The Money ticket and discovered he had won the game’s top prize of $1 million.
“People were hugging me. People wanted to see it. I couldn’t believe it!”Edward Lee Dressler, Million Dollar Virginia Lottery Scratcher Winner
The winning ticket was the fourth and final top prize ticket in the 20X The Money game, so the Virginia Lottery has closed the game out to further participation.
It is the Virginia Lottery’s policy to end scratcher games after the last available top prize is claimed.
Dressler, who is retired, chose the instant cash option of $601,685 instead of the $1 million prize which would have been spread out over the course of 30 years. He says he has no immediate plans for the winnings except to give to his church.
The Stop In store at 1410 Durant Road in Covington, where the ticket was purchased, receives a bonus of $10,000 for selling the winning ticket.
- Tropical Storm Epsilon takes form over Central Atlantic
- Temporary closure along part of Route 732 in Bedford County starts Tuesday morning
- ‘It’s kind of surreal’: Mother and daughter make history in Bristol as first to receive fill of medical cannabis oil in Virginia
- ‘We’re heartbroken’: Robert Redford’s son, James, dies of liver cancer at 58
- TSA: Over 1 million airline passengers screened Sunday for first time since March