49 children, 11 adults inside building as stove fire flares up at Roanoke day care center, officials say

Local News
v(Photo: Courtesy Roanoke Fire-EMS)

(Photo: Courtesy Roanoke Fire-EMS)

ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — An accidental stove fire broke out at a northeast Roanoke day care center while 60 people — including dozens of children — were inside the building, but fire officials say nobody was harmed during the incident.

According to a tweet from Roanoke Fire-EMS on Friday, Sept. 18, crews were dispatched to the 1600 block of Blue Hills Drive NE at 9:19 a.m. for a report of a fire.

When units arrived on scene, the department says they found a small fire coming from a stove in a commercial day care, Creative Kids Childcare Center. However, the fire was reportedly contained to the stove and firefighters quickly put it out when they arrived.

Fire officials say there were 49 kids and 11 adults in the building at the time of the fire. However, the department says all children and day care staff made it out safe and sound.

There are no reports of injuries resulting from the fire, which fire officials determined to be accidental and electrical in nature.

Latest Stories

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form