UPDATE: 9:10 p.m. – WFXR News has learned that the suspect in the officer-involved shooting earlier this afternoon in the Valley View section of Roanoke has died. The man’s identity has not yet been released.
ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — One person has been shot in a police-involved shooting near Lowe’s off Hershberger in Roanoke, according to Roanoke Police.
According to Roanoke Police, officers were dispatched to a business at 1600 block of Hershberger Road NW on a trespassing call.
“A responding officer located the subject on scene and began to speak with them,” an email from Roanoke Police said. “The officer observed that the subject had a firearm. During the encounter, the officer fired his service weapon at the individual. The suspect was struck by the officer’s gunfire, then fled on foot.”
The wounded individual was taken into custody a short distance away. He has been transported to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital.
While responding to the call, a Roanoke Police cruiser was involved in a crash at the intersection of Gainsboro Road and Orange Avenue NW. The officer was driving east on Orange Avenue when the crash occurred when he struck three vehicles.
“Several individuals are being transported to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital for what appeared to be non-life threatening injuries,” the email from police said.
Roanoke Police said Virginia State Police have been notified of the shooting and will investigate the incident. The officer who fired his weapon has been placed on administrative duties.
- Evictions are happening despite CDC order; Here’s what Virginia lawmakers are doing about it
- 3 arrested after protests near Richmond Police Department headquarters
- Pinpoint Weather: Cool & rainy as Beta’s remnants move across parts of Southwest VA
- What both sides are saying about a peaceful transition of power
- Louisville officer shooting suspect will face charges of assault, wanton endangerment