Home engulfed by early morning fire

News

In the middle of the night, on Spring Run Lane in Galax, Virginia. Mary Stoneman’s family sensed there was a problem.

“My daughter had woke up. She was having some kind of feeling that something was wrong,” says Stoneman.

After being alerted to a fire outside her home, Stoneman frantically called 911.

“I told them it was fire and they thought it was my home. I told them no it was the neighbors and they asked me how many feet and I said it’s steps.”

As she opened her door. The mobile home outside was engulfed in flames.

“I was afraid ours was going to go up, or catch on fire to because my trailer was so hot. I mean it was really hot.”

The residents of the mobile home were able to get to safety. Now, a day later all that’s left is charred wood and burnt metal. After witnessing an inferno just an arms length away. Stoneman is thankful that her daughter was able to come to the rescue.

“She had a strange feeling something was wrong and 100 percent when she says something is wrong it’s wrong. It scared her and it scared all of us. So we all got out of our homes and thank god we did because god bless all of us. God saved all of us.”

According to the Galax Fire Department the residents of the mobile home are being assisted by the American Red Cross. However, the residence has been declared a total loss.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form