ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — On Tuesday morning, Dr. Cynthia Morrow, the director of the Roanoke City and Alleghany Health Districts, held an online briefing to share coronavirus data and updates on local vaccination efforts.
This Zoom briefing comes after the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) reported 1,299 new COVID-19 cases, 69 new virus-related hospitalizations, and 48 new virus-related deaths around the Commonwealth between on Tuesday, Oct. 26.
Of those numbers, the VDH says 56 new COVID-19 cases and two new deaths are from the following localities within the Roanoke City and Alleghany Health Districts:
- Alleghany County: Three new cases
- Botetourt County: Nine new cases
- Covington: Two new cases
- Craig County: Two new cases and one new death
- Roanoke City: 12 new cases
- Roanoke County: 22 new cases and one new death
- Salem: Six new cases
Meanwhile, the Roanoke City and Alleghany Health Districts are offering first-dose COVID-19 vaccination opportunities in the coming weeks at mobile clinics, which are listed below:
- Tuesday, Oct. 26 from 1:15 to 4:15 p.m. at the Craig County Health Department at 161 Main Street in New Castle (Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J)
- Thursday, Oct. 28 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Alleghany County/Covington Health Department at 321 East Beech Street in Covington (Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J)
- Thursday, Oct. 28 from 2 to 6 p.m. at Fincastle Baptist Church at 7330 Roanoke Road in Fincastle (Pfizer Moderna, and J&J)
- Friday, Oct. 29 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the Salem High School football game at 1002 Texas Street in Salem (Pfizer and J&J)
- Saturday, Oct. 30 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at High Street Baptist Church during the “Health and Wellness Fall Festival” at 2302 Florida Avenue NW in Roanoke (Pfizer and J&J)
- Saturday, Oct. 30 from 4 to 6 p.m. at Northwest Faith Partnership “Fall Festival” at 2105 Carroll Avenue NW in Roanoke (Pfizer and J&J)
- Tuesday, Nov. 2 from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Williamson Road Library at 3837 Williamson Road in Roanoke (Pfizer and Moderna)
- Tuesday, Nov. 2 from 4 to 6 p.m. at Mason’s Cove Elementary School’s “Voting and Vaccines” event at 3370 Bradshaw Road in Salem (Pfizer and J&J)
- Wednesday, Nov. 3 from 10 a.m. to noon at Main Street Baptist Church at 920 Main Street in Clifton Forge (Pfizer and J&J)
- Wednesday, Nov. 3 from 4 to 6 p.m. at McDonald’s at 100 Mall Road in Covington (Pfizer and J&J)
- Thursday, Nov. 4 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Alleghany County/Covington Health Department at 321 East Beech Street in Covington (Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J)
- Thursday, Nov. 4 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Raleigh Court Library at 2112 Grandin Road SW in Roanoke (Pfizer and Moderna)
- Thursday, Nov. 4 from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Salem Family YMCA at 1126 Kime Lane in Salem (Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J)
- Friday, Nov. 5 from 1 to 3 p.m. at McDonald’s at 101 South Electric Road in Salem (Pfizer and J&J)
- Saturday, Nov. 6 at Mt. Zion AME at 2128 Melrose Avenue NW in Roanoke (Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J)
- Tuesday, Nov. 9 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Main Library at 706 S. Jefferson Street in Roanoke (Pfizer and Moderna)
To set up a vaccine appointment or to learn more about vaccination efforts within the health districts, click here.
The VDH’s free Community Vaccination Center is also open at the former Sears site at the Valley View Mall in Roanoke from 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
According to CDC guidance, those 18 and older and qualify can receive booster doses anytime after six months from the date of the second Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine.
The Roanoke City and Alleghany Health Districts say they will provide Pfizer and Moderna boosters to people who received their initial shots at least six months ago and meet the following qualifications:
- People age 65 and older
- People age 18 and older in long-term care settings
- People age 18 and older with underlying medical conditions
- People age 18 and older who are at an increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission because of occupational or institutional settings
If you got the J&J vaccine, boosters are recommended for those age 18 and older who were vaccinated at least two months ago.
People who qualify can schedule a booster dose appointment at their pharmacy or health department clinic by visiting the VDH vaccine website.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list
Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.