RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC/WFXR) — A new coronavirus case in the Commonwealth brings the total to nine, according to the Virginia Department of Health (VDH).
The recent diagnosis of COVID-19 comes from Hanover County, said Dr. Lilian Peake, Virginia state epidemiologist.
The cases throughout the state are the following:
- Two cases from people associated with the Department of Defense;
- One person from Prince William County;
- One person from Spotsylvania County;
- A couple from Virginia Beach, who took a boat trip on the Nile River;
- A couple from Fairfax County, who took a boat trip on the Nile River; and
- A person in Loudon County, who came into contact with a known person with the virus, when attending church in Georgetown.
All infected by the virus are in stable condition, Peake said.
She said there is a limit in testing materials for the coronavirus, but there are more than prior weeks.
The governor’s administration has asked schools to discuss protocols for extended closures and to monitor attendance. Officials are asking employers to review telework and paid leave policies. Also, officials are asking nursing home to restrict visitation and boost screenings.
The governor emphasized that the VDH is working with nursing homes, schools, universities and hospitals to discuss protocols in the event of an outbreak.
The governor said there have been reports of stigma towards Asian Americans during the Coronavirus outbreak.
“That is not acceptable,” Northam added.
RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Virginia Governor Ralph Northam is expected to give an update on the state’s coronavirus outbreak.
At this time, Virginia has eight “presumptive positive” cases. Most of the cases are in Northern Virginia with the exception of a couple in Virginia Beach who tested positive.
The CDC said the risk to Virginians is still low. In the governor’s press conference we will get a closer look at the state’s response to COVID-19.
- Southwest Virginia Wildlife Center receives first baby black bear
- Two women tried to spend $1 million bill at Dollar General store
- Arizona woman wakes up to find tires slashed, severed finger on driveway
- FedEx shooting: Gunman started in parking lot before entering Indianapolis FedEx facility and killing 8 people
- All Virginians are eligible for COVID-19 vaccines starting April 18