ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — After the Roanoke City and Alleghany Health Districts saw their highest single-day spike in new coronavirus cases in months on Tuesday, health director Dr. Cynthia Morrow provided an update on the area’s pandemic response.
This online briefing comes after the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) reported 721 new COVID-19 cases — the largest single-day increase in cases since May 8 — along with 42 new virus-related hospitalizations and four new virus-related deaths around the Commonwealth as of Tuesday, July 20.
The VDH says 82 of those new cases, as well as one of those new hospitalizations, are from the following localities in the Roanoke City and Alleghany Health Districts:
- Alleghany County: Three new cases
- Botetourt County: 16 new cases and one hospitalization
- Covington: Zero new cases
- Craig County: One new cases
- Roanoke City: 24 new cases
- Roanoke County: 33 new cases
- Salem: Five new cases
Meanwhile, the Roanoke City and Alleghany Health Districts are offering first-dose COVID-19 vaccine opportunities in the coming weeks at mobile clinics, which are listed below:
- Tuesday, July 20 at Hill Street Baptist Church at 111 Madison Avenue NW in Roanoke (J&J and Pfizer)
- Friday, July 23 at the Salvation Army at 724 Dale Avenue SE in Roanoke (Pfizer and Moderna)
- Friday, July 23 at the Williamson Road Library at 3837 Williamson Road in Roanoke (Pfizer)
- Tuesday, July 27 at Fallon Park at 502 19th Street SE in Roanoke (Pfizer)
- Wednesday, July 28 at Belmont Library at 1101 Morningside Street SE in Roanoke (Pfizer)
- Thursday, July 29 at Kiwanis Centennial Playground, Picnic in the Park – CHIP, at 2600 Melrose Avenue NW in Roanoke (J&J and Pfizer)
- Thursday, July 29 at the Vinton War Memorial at 814 East Washington Avenue in Vinton (Pfizer)
- Saturday, July 31 at the Washington Park Pool Party at 1610 Burrell Street NW in Roanoke (Pfizer and J&J)
- Monday, Aug. 2 at Andrew Lewis Middle School at 616 South College Avenue in Salem (Pfizer)
- Tuesday, Aug. 3 at Sweet Union Baptist Church at 521 Madison Avenue NW in Roanoke (Pfizer)
- Vaccine clinics in Alleghany County/Covington
- Vaccine clinics in Craig County
To set up a second-dose appointment or to learn more about vaccination efforts within the health districts, click here.
See the full update from Dr. Morrow below.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list