ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Less than a week before her regularly-scheduled coronavirus update, Dr. Cynthia Morrow with the Roanoke City and Alleghany Health Districts held a virtual news conference Friday morning to discuss the recent COVID-19 trends in the Roanoke Valley and Alleghany Highlands.
This online briefing comes after the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) reported 445 new COVID-19 cases — the largest single-day increase in cases since May 25 — along with 19 new virus-related hospitalizations, and six new virus-related deaths around the Commonwealth as of Friday, July 16.
The VDH says 33 of those new cases and two of those new hospitalizations are from the following localities in the Roanoke City and Alleghany Health Districts:
- Alleghany County: Zero new cases and one new hospitalization
- Botetourt County: Six new cases and one new hospitalization
- Covington: Zero new cases
- Craig County: Four new cases
- Roanoke City: Eight new cases
- Roanoke County: 12 new cases
- Salem: Three new cases
Meanwhile, the Roanoke City and Alleghany Health Districts are offering first-dose COVID-19 vaccine opportunities in the coming weeks at mobile clinics, which are listed below:
- Friday, July 16 at Mt. Zion AME at 2128 Melrose Avenue NW in Roanoke (Pfizer)
- Saturday, July 17 at the Roanoke Envision Center – Community Day at 2607 Salem Turnpike NW in Roanoke (J&J and Pfizer)
- Tuesday, July 20 at Hill Street Baptist Church at 111 Madison Avenue NW in Roanoke (J&J and Pfizer)
- Friday, July 23 at the Salvation Army at 724 Dale Avenue SE in Roanoke (Pfizer and Moderna)
- Friday, July 23 at the Williamson Road Library at 3837 Williamson Road in Roanoke (Pfizer)
- Tuesday, July 27 at Fallon Park at 502 19th Street SE in Roanoke (Pfizer)
- Wednesday, July 28 at Belmont Library at 1101 Morningside Street SE in Roanoke (Pfizer)
- Thursday, July 29 at Kiwanis Centennial Playground, Picnic in the Park – CHIP, at 2600 Melrose Avenue NW in Roanoke (J&J and Pfizer)
- Thursday, July 29 at the Vinton War Memorial at 814 East Washington Avenue in Vinton (Pfizer)
- Vaccine clinics in Alleghany County/Covington
- Vaccine clinics in Craig County
To set up a second-dose appointment or to learn more about vaccination efforts within the health districts, click here.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list