RICHMOND, Va. (WFXR) — On Thursday, the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) announced a child between the age of 0 and 9 with COVID-19 has died in the Northern Region of Virginia.
“Our hearts go out to the family and friends of this child for their tragic loss,” stated Virginia Health Commissioner Dr. Norman Oliver. “Across the country, COVID-19 continues to cause illness and death. The Delta variant is now the most predominant strain across the country, and it spreads more easily from one person to another. We urge everyone to take precautions to protect themselves and those around them. Everyone aged 12 and older who is eligible to get vaccinated is encouraged to do so as soon as possible.”
This is the fourth child in Virginia under the age of 10 to die of COVID-19, as well as the 11th Virginia child between the age of 0 and 19 to die from the virus.
The VDH shared a few recommendations to help lower the risk of spreading respiratory infections, including the coronavirus:
- Get a COVID-19 vaccine when it is available to you or your children. To locate a free vaccine near you, visit vaccinate.virginia.gov/.
- Wear a mask in indoor public settings, even if you are fully vaccinated, because Virginia is currently experiencing high levels of COVID-19 spread.
- Practice physical distancing by maintaining at least six feet of space between yourself and others.
- Avoid large gatherings, crowds, and indoor spaces with poor airflow.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after you have been in public spaces. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick. If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, get tested.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list