UPDATE 12:19 p.m.: Of the nine staff coronavirus cases reported by Roanoke County Public Schools on Sunday, the school district says only
Roanoke County Public Schools’ representative Chuck Lionberger told WFXR news that only the two cases reported at W.E. Cundiff Elementary School on Sunday, Oct. 25, resulted in two staff exposures, as defined by the contact tracing guidelines from the Virginia Department of Health.
However, Lionberger says there are no other concerns about exposures from the W.E. Cundiff cases or the other seven staff cases from the other five Roanoke County schools.
“As with all cases, we continue to conduct daily cleaning and weekly deep cleaning,” Lionberger said. “We also continue to recommend following all health safety guidelines not only in school, but at all times outside the home.”
In addition, school officials remind all parents to review the daily health checklist and keep children home if they exhibit any symptoms of the coronavirus.
ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Roanoke County Public Schools notified members of the Glenvar High School community on Sunday about a positive COVID-19 case involving a staff member, which is one of nine staff cases reported from the school district on the same day.
According to a letter sent to parents and guardians from Glenvar High School on Sunday, Oct. 25, a member of the school’s staff tested positive for COVID-19.
However, after working alongside the Roanoke and Alleghany Health Department, school officials say they determined no students or staff members have been identified as being at risk of exposure to this staff member while at school.
The school district says schools are continuing to follow CDC guidelines on cleaning and disinfecting public spaces to reduce viral transmission.
In addition, families are encouraged to promote healthy behaviors and follow safe practices — which are outlined in the statement from Roanoke County Public Schools below — amid the pandemic.
The case reported from Glenvar High School is one of just nine cases reported from Roanoke County Public Schools on Sunday, according to the school district’s COVID-19 dashboard. Those other eight cases are listed below:
- Two staff cases from Burlington Elementary School
- Two staff cases from Cave Spring Elementary School
- One staff case from Glen Cove Elementary School
- Two staff cases from W.E. Cundiff Elementary School
- One staff case from the Roanoke County Public Schools Central Office
Sunday’s news of nine staff coronavirus cases across the school district — seven of which have been reported from elementary schools — comes as Roanoke County third graders and certain fourth and fifth graders are set to begin in-person classes four or five days a week.
- New COVID-19 case reported among staff at O.T. Bonner Middle School in Danville
- VSP: Danville man dead after Sunday morning crash in Pittsylvania County
- Body found behind fast-food restaurant in Henry County Monday morning
- John Dalton Intermediate switching to virtual learning Tuesday after sending students home Monday morning
- Alleghany Highlands Forecast