RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC/WFXR) — The Virginia Department of Corrections (VADOC) reported Monday evening that 1,141 inmates and 118 staff members have tested positive for coronavirus at Virginia correctional facilities.
According to VADOC, as of Monday, May 25, six inmates have died from COVID-19, including two inmates at Buckingham Correctional Center, one at Deerfield Correctional Facility, one at Dillwyn Correctional Center, one at Sussex II State Prison, and one at the Virginia Correctional Center for Women.
Virginia correctional facilities that have been hit hard by COVID-19 include the following:
- Buckingham Correctional Center — 112 total positive offenders, 6 positive staff members
- Dillwyn Correctional Center — 321 total positive offenders, 9 positive staff members
- Greensville Correctional Center — 186 total positive offenders, 45 positive staff members
- Haynesville Correctional Center — 246 total positive offenders, 9 positive staff members
8News investigator Kerri O’Brien received several emails from families concerned about Greensville Correctional Center. The facility has 45 staff members with the virus — the most at any VADOC prison. 8News reached out to VADOC, which responded with the following statement:
“We did point prevalence testing at Greensville last week, which means we tested almost 3,000 offenders and all staff. That’s why Greensville is now showing the 186 positive offenders and 45 positive staff. COVID positive offenders are not housed with COVID negative offenders.”Lisa E. Kinney, Director of Communications for the Virginia Department of Corrections
In addition to point prevalence testing at Greensville, VADOC says its staff has tested inmates at Harrisonburg CCAP, Haynesville Correctional Center, Deerfield Correctional Center, and Dillwyn Correctional Center.
There is a separate method to testing employees. In particular, VADOC says all employees must “assess their risk on a daily basis prior to reporting to work.”
Visitations at VADOC facilities have been cancelled because of COVID-19.
This is a developing story. Stay with us for updates.
- Memorable quotes from Meghan and Harry’s Oprah interview
- ‘I was shocked’: New Walmart checkout policy called racially biased
- ‘You don’t look that sick to me’: Vaccine rollout breeds mixed emotions
- 892 new COVID-19 cases, 87 new deaths reported around Virginia as of Monday, VDH says
- Grayson County home sustains major damage after Saturday morning fire