ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Roanoke County Public Schools notified members of the Glenvar High School community on Monday about a positive coronavirus case involving a student, but that student was only one of seven cases reported from the school district Monday.
According to a letter sent to parents and guardians from Glenvar High School on Monday, Oct. 19, a student tested positive for COVID-19.
However, after working alongside the Roanoke and Alleghany Health Department, school officials say they determined no students or staff members have been identified as being at risk of exposure to this student while at school.
Exposure is determined by an individual who has had close contact — defined in Monday’s statement as being less than six feet apart for at least 15 minutes, regardless of whether you are wearing a mask or not — with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19.
The school district says schools are continuing to follow CDC guidelines on cleaning and disinfecting public spaces to reduce viral transmission.
In addition, families are encouraged to promote healthy behaviors and follow safe practices — which are outlined in the statement from Roanoke County Public Schools below — amid the pandemic.
The case reported from Glenvar High School is one of just seven cases reported from Roanoke County public schools on Monday according to the school district’s COVID-19 dashboard. Those other six cases are listed below:
- One student case from Clearbrook Elementary School
- One staff case from Herman L. Horn Elementary School
- One staff case from Hidden Valley Middle School
- Two student cases from William Byrd Middle School
- One student case from William Byrd High School
- NC State rallies to defeat Syracuse 36-29
- Norfolk mayor calls out Virginia 90th House of Delegates candidate for false endorsement
- Multi-car crash slows traffic on I-81 south in Roanoke County
- 1 dead, 14 injured following shooting at South Carolina nightclub
- 40-foot tall leg lamp from ‘A Christmas Story’ stands in Chickasha in ‘indescribably beautiful’ glory