ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — It’s that time of year again — Girl Scouts are selling their famous cookies! Due to the pandemic, though, the Girl Scouts around southwest Virginia are getting creative with how to sell their cookies in safe and socially distant ways.
“They are leading the way such unique and different ideas. I’m amazed at how they’re adapting to the sales, and we adults are just rolling with it,” said Jennifer Pfister, Marketing and Communications Director for the Girl Scouts of Virginia Skyline Council. “These kids are pretty tech-savvy, and it’s nice to see them adapt their cookie CEOs.”
The organization has decided to collaborate with Grubhub to make online cookie ordering available across the country starting Feb. 1.
However, for Girl Scout cookie lovers in Roanoke, a pilot program will kick off Jan. 30 and run through March 31, which will allow consumers to order Girl Scout cookies for pickup or delivery on Saturdays and Sundays via Grubhub.com or the Grubhub app.
The organization says if the program is a success, they’ll expand it to the New River Valley, central Virginia, Charlottesville, and Harrisonburg.
For those outside the Roanoke Valley area, there are still a number of safe ways to take advantage of the Girl Scout Cookie season, which runs until March 31 in the Virginia Skyline Council’s 36-county area within central, Southside, southwest, and western Virginia:
- If you know a registered Girl Scout, ask her how she’s selling cookies this year.
- If you don’t know a Girl Scout, contact the Virginia Skyline Council by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (540) 777-5100 and they’ll connect you with a local troop.
- Check out your Barnes & Noble, Food Lion, GNC, or Lowe’s to see if any Girl Scouts are set up outside those retail locations to sell cookies in a safe and socially distanced manner.
- Starting Feb. 1, enter your zip code into the Girl Scout Cookie Finder to make an online purchase from a local troop, which you can either ship to your door or donate to first responders and local causes.
Follow these find a local Girl Scout to buy cookies from, click here.
- ‘Near Southwest Virginia’ hospitals report drop from 480 to 463 confirmed, pending COVID-19 patients
- Regulators deadlock over Mountain Valley stream crossings
- Teen whom Biden befriended as fellow stutterer releasing children’s book
- Ex-boyfriend of deported Russian agent pardoned by Trump
- 103-year-old Massachusetts man who lived through Spanish flu, polio outbreak gets COVID-19 vaccine